RE: [OM] The Death of Film

Subject: RE: [OM] The Death of Film
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 09:47:55 -0600
How long ago was video tape supposed to completely replace film in the
movie business?  Even field documentaries are still filmed on old
silver-based technology.  Why?  Batteries and cold/hot weather
capabilities.  This is rapidly changing now, but, only 20 years after the
death of film was supposed to happen.  As far as the movie business is
concerned, this too is changing, but very, very slowly.  Film makers are
artists and artists have always marched to the beat of a different drummer.
 There has always been a certain "glow" to film that video has never been
able to match.

As far as the incredible growth in digital camera sales, I ask what
percentage is repeat sales to customers with earlier technology?  If 60f
US households currently have digital cameras (which I doubt it is that
high), how many of those cameras are obsolete (320x200) or worse than those
disposable cameras?

High end, professional quality digital cameras have found their use in
areas requiring fast turnaround of images (news, sports) and catalog
shooting.  Stock photography and art photography which is primarily a
speculative business will still use the medium that offers the most bang
for the buck and/or meets a certain creative ability.  Can you imagine--we
are arguing over the virtues of Velvia vs Ektachrome vs Kodachrome vs
Astia.  With Digital imaging, you get just that--digital imaging.  Sure,
you can "photoshop" the image any way you want, but that requires a 100%
editing ratio--every shot requires editing.  With film technology, if
properly done is a "scan-and-go" operation and editing is only required for
cleanups.

This is a most exciting time to be a "film" photographer.  All the film
makers are introducing some incredible films.  I am planning on investing
heavily in a short time on a bunch of new FILM based camera equipment.
Probably will be my last film based system, but there is too much exciting
film technology right now to abandon it yet.

Ken Norton