Re: [OM] The Death of Film

Subject: Re: [OM] The Death of Film
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 08:53:03 EST

>  Six per cent of all american households owned digital
>cameras by the end of 1999.

Well, assuming that there are 100 million households in america (out of
250 million people), that's 6 million cameras, assuming one camera per
household. That's a lot of cameras! How many households have film
cameras that they actually *use*, rather than sitting on a shelf in the
closet? Probably more maybe? maybe less? It's all about convenience, in
my opinion, except for us crazies that is....How soon until you can
take your digital camera into the local "one hour" and let them
download your images onto another media like floppy, CD, whatever? and
also have them printed out on the spot? and also have a computer and an
operator there that can "enahance" your pictures also? I know some of
this is already available, but of course, I'm hiding under the bed
trying to ignore the gail force winds of the digital storm all around
me.

I have this strange feeling of being left behind. Like familiar things
are passing by more quickly than I'm comfortable with. I'm sure this is
a common feeling, but it *does* make me feel older to use things that
are obsolete, or becoming uncommon. I used to be into the vintage
automobile hobby. With the environmental laws around here, that hobby
is dying quickly, and for good reason too. The air is bad, no need to
make it worse! Then of course there is audio, with all those formats
and technology changes: vacuum tubes and LP's becoming transistors and
CD's. I'm sure someone has written about this somewhere, probably whole
novels about it. Anyway, the future ain't what it used to be!

<g - trying to find a lighter side to this somehow - gg>

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright