Re: [OM] 28/3.5 bokeh :)

Subject: Re: [OM] 28/3.5 bokeh :)
From: Acer V <siddim01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 10:28:48 -0800 (PST)
On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Olaf Greve wrote:

>Hi Acer (and others),
>
>A bit of a late reply, but I didn't see any further mention of an answer in
>the other digests, so:

Great...I was waiting for something :)

>>I think it's the bright light source (sky) that goes bad. The general
>>tree-limbs/grass/etc isn't so bad.
>
>Yes, that seems to have a lot to do with it. The pictures you took were
>lovely, but for the harsh bokeh which is somewhat disturbing.
>
>>The ADITL3 was cropped top part to remove the sky-gone-awry-bokeh.
>
>I see, so that picture suffered from the same problem...
>
>>If anyone has 'em, I'd like to see more bokeh pix of bright (sky) to see
>>how it is.
>
>Well, check this out:
>http://www.web-wizards.com/cgi-bin/show_picture.cgi?country=holl&num=2
>
>and compare it to:
>http://www.web-wizards.com/cgi-bin/show_picture.cgi?country=holl&num=3
>
>Both pictures were taken on the same day, using the same lens (the
>65-200/4), and of similar subjects (leaves with sky in between). The former
>picture has terrible bokeh in the background, whereas the bokeh in the
>latter picture is much nicer. Go figure...

Ok, now I see what good sky bokeh is: very soft, not at all distracting,
although given that we talk so much about it, one wonders if that isn't
the main subject <gg>

>Actually, I remember some other shots of this session to have bokeh that was
>_so_ terrible that I just couldn't believe it when I saw it. I might scan
>one of those pictures some day and title it "The king of bad bokeh" :)

The whole list should; what happend to the bokeh-fest ADITL?

>I really wonder how my 100/2 (which I didn't have at that time) or the
>135/2.8 would have rendered the bokeh in these pictures.

Speaking of which, any user experiences with the 50/1.8MC (green, s/n
2.33M, "made in japan") vs. 50/1.4MC s/n 869??? wide open? I plan to
testing them soon, but a few preliminary pics show the former to be bad
bokeh, latter to be good. In fact, bright spots of light go from being
circular to slightly bulging (coma?).

/Acer V
--
Coming soon to a browser near you: The Whole Sort Of General Mish Mash,
now frames-enriched at no extra-charge!