Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1514

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1514
From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam2@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 21:36:23 +0100
>From: "Paul Wallich" <pw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >From: "Wiliam Wagenaar" <wiliam2@xxxxxxxx>
> >Subject: Re: [OM] Lens Advice Please (90mm or 100mm reasonably priced)
> >
> >Paul Wallich wrote:
> >- -----
> >> I picked up a vivitar series 1 90/2.5 (I think that may be the one
you're
> >> thinking of, not sure there is a 100) and am pretty happy with it,
> >although
> >> I'm mostly using it for closeup work so far (I got the 1:1 adaptor and
> >> can now macro my heart out, at least to start with). Also doing some
> >> long urban landscapey work. In the medium distances I'm not sure I
> >> love the bokeh (which
> >> would be your issue, I think).
>
> >I can second his opinion on the 90/2.5 I love it too!
> >I hate the 1:1 adapter (2xconvertor) because of the troublesome mounting
and
> >dismounting of this item ant the OM-adapter ring.
> >As for being heavy, I also have the 100/2.8 with which I am quite happy
too.
> >It's smaller tha many 50mm lenses of other brands.
>
> I have no trouble with the 1:1, but that's because the version I have is
Oly
> mount front and back. It's not actually a 2x convertor as far as I've been
> able to figure out because it substantially reduces maximum focusing
distance
> but doesn't kill as much exposure as a 2x. (It also mounts some other
> Oly lenses, with amusing results)
>
> paul

I am so sorry for this confusing (mis-)information. I own the TAMRON
2.5/90mm. (And thanks to Gary Reese the 1:1 (2x) adapter also. If you are
shootiung with te lens attached to the body and you want to go closer than
1:2 you have to:
- dismount lens
- dismount OM adapter from lens
- mount OM adapter to 1:1 adapter
- mount 1:1 adapter to lens
- mount complete set to body again

I have done this a few times but I feel the handling is so troublesome that
I will probably never again mount the 1:1 adapter to the lens. I am always
affrain of damaging either the lens, the 1:1 adapter or the Om Mount
adapter.