[OM] OM-3Ti (was "A few small observations")

Subject: [OM] OM-3Ti (was "A few small observations")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:36:04 -0600
At 12:47 AM 3/17/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>OM-3Ti - This is a sweet camera.  Feels right in my hands, brings back my
>OM-1 'feelings'.  The body is in perfect condition, so the natural thinking
>is that it woud be a keeper.  That leads to the other side of the
>observation.  One of the things that I've always liked about the 1 (and I'm
>sure the 1n) is that the process was simple.  Adjust shutter and aperture
>until the needle is centered.  Take picture.  On the 3 (and the 4 for that
>matter), you are relying on an LED display that is hard to read. Oh, I get
>more information, like the shutter speed, in the viewfinder, but I have to
>squint to read it, even if I turn on the light.  On the 1, it was just
>easier.  Comments/thoughts? Maybe I'm just a diehard 1 fan, but I'm
>struggling with the 3.  Maybe a good thing, as my investment in a nice 1n
>would certainly be less.

Yes, one might wish the display were more like the OM-2S in manual/spot
mode, but doubtless there were some economies in matching the OM-4 display
as much as possible. Do you wear glasses?  My understanding is that it's
more of a challenge in that case.  I find the OM-4T display to be good in
the sense that it is kind of a "bi-focal" view:  you see the entire field
of view when you look straight through the viewfinder;  you have to look
down a little when you want to be aware of the display.  This works were
for me, but I can see why it might be annoying for someone else.

I would love to have a OM-3Ti. (Alas, the OM2000 is more like my budget.)
My main concerns would be whether its shutter is "quiet" in the 1/2 to 1/30
range, since the camera lacks the self-timer with aperture stopdown/shutter
prefire (ASSP? SPAS?).  I would really concentrate on using the technique
recommended by Olympus of firing even tripod-mounted shots with your
finger, rather than with a cable release.  This would be a great winter
camera in the north, and fooling with a cable release in the winter is not
pleasant, and even in temperate climates it might help absorb the shutter
shudders.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA