[OM] A few small observations

Subject: [OM] A few small observations
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 00:47:17 -0600
Well, I just got back into town after 10 days to a bonanza and, no I won't
go into the details and bore everyone.  I've spent the evening focusing on
getting a feel for three pieces of equipment and was curious of other's
opinions.

OM-3Ti - This is a sweet camera.  Feels right in my hands, brings back my
OM-1 'feelings'.  The body is in perfect condition, so the natural thinking
is that it woud be a keeper.  That leads to the other side of the
observation.  One of the things that I've always liked about the 1 (and I'm
sure the 1n) is that the process was simple.  Adjust shutter and aperture
until the needle is centered.  Take picture.  On the 3 (and the 4 for that
matter), you are relying on an LED display that is hard to read. Oh, I get
more information, like the shutter speed, in the viewfinder, but I have to
squint to read it, even if I turn on the light.  On the 1, it was just
easier.  Comments/thoughts? Maybe I'm just a diehard 1 fan, but I'm
struggling with the 3.  Maybe a good thing, as my investment in a nice 1n
would certainly be less.

40/2 - Wow.  This is a sweet little thing (thanks, to the seller, you know
who you are).  Pricey, but I think worth it.  THe front of the lens is
actually the aperture dial, which is pretty cool.  It's hard to believe
there is glass in this thing it is so small. I think this will be my
'briefcase lens'.  It can with the rubber hood, marked for the 40, 85 and
100, which I also find a little wierd, but hey....  That was all leading to
a question.  By putting the hood on, I defeat much of the purpose of the
small size.  Is the hood truly critical on this lens, or can I get away
without it in most situations?

200/5 - Well, I like it.  It's not very bright, being an f/5, but it's a lot
smaller and lighter than the f/4. More than I expected.  According to Paul
Farrar's lens site, it's about an inch shorter and 130gms (ok, a little over
5 ozs)  lighter.  Remember, I'm a small and light guy.  Other than the
obvious f/4 vs. f/5 difference, what am I missing?

As I wander through things, I'll probably have more questions.  I value
everyone's experience and opinions.  I know, form my own, shoot more film,
and I will, but everyone's opinion helps build the overall impression.
Thanks in advance.  If this is too boring for everyone, as perhaps it's all
been hashed out before, feel free to write my privately if you have some
thoughts.

Tom
tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx