Re: [OM] Teles vs Everything Else

Subject: Re: [OM] Teles vs Everything Else
From: "Charles Loeven" <cpl49@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 18:38:30 -0800
Ron and all,
Interesting question being as I had to deal with this focal length question
in real time yesterday.
I went out to shoot the New York, New York hotel here in Lost Wages Nevada.
The reason was to see how useful my Autofocus body and 35 - 70 zoom was.
I found myself consciously comparing my OM2 and 28-50-85mm primes
with a T-20 for fill and for indoors.
I rarely use any Zuikos other than those.  Occasionally I use a 100mm and
for what I call a long lens a 135mm (Vivitar).

            *******Side Rant*******

I felt like trashing the Minolta right there and then.
With a polarizer it was awful dark in there.  With my glasses on I could not
see the corners.  The 35mm end was just a little too narrow at times and the
70mm although adequate for most uses was a little short at times.
The built in flash goes to about 16 feet at f2 (iso 100)
and the T-20 goes to about 32 feet.  No contest!
The only trade offs I would have to make for the OM is one small gadget bag
and time to change lenses.  For photographic satisfaction it is a small
price to pay.

Now to get back to what focal lengths I use the most.  Aside from what I
have specified, when shooting banquets, parties and dances I use the OM2
with a 50mm,
that's it.  If I had a fast 35 or 40mm prime I would use that.  Add a T-32
on a good bracket and it is the perfect set up.  Winder optional.  2 series
screen desired.

Charlie L.