Re: [OM] photodo results

Subject: Re: [OM] photodo results
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 13:36:46 +0100
Dirk Wright schrieb:

> What can I say? I'm dissapointed for sure. I know this is a pissing
> contest, and maybe the quality of a lens can't be resolved into a single
> number, but I hoped for better results.

The problem with all this tests is they are not consistent. If you the
compare different test results of the same pole of lenses, you will
discover, a lens tested best in one test might be worst in the other
test.
What are the conclussion? Either the quality differences between
different samples of the same lens are that big (means lens maker don´t
have their production under control and it makes no difference which
brand lens you buy) or the "tests" are not as good as they should ("single
number" test results are not worth the paper they are print on, feets in the
fridge and head in an oven makes no agreeable but only an average
temperature).

>It looks like to me that a lot of
> third party lenses are just as good if not better than zuikos. Damn.

I would trade Sigma or Soligor lenses against your Zuikos ;-)

Regards

Richard