Re: [OM] Marketing Ploy / User OM-4 -Reply

Subject: Re: [OM] Marketing Ploy / User OM-4 -Reply
From: "Keith (R.K.) Berry" <keith_r.k.berry@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 00:27:51 -0000
Paul Schings wrote:

>...The response overwhelmingly (possibly
>unanimously, I don't recall), was that posting these things was OK, even
>desirable (I think the vicarious thrill outweighed the envy for most
people).
>Tom already asked. We said OK.

Absolutely!

Following the recent mentions of the Autofocusing Zuiko 35-70 f4, I began
thinking of using one with my OM-40 (PC). In Program mode and with my Winder
2 it should behave like a fully auto s.l.r - mostly for fun. On Wednesday I
called at a shop where one of these lenses has been sitting for months,
except that it disappeared for a couple of weeks before reappearing, and I
assumed that it had been sold to someone who had returned it as
unsatisfactory. Anyway, it was still there, priced at 30 UKP. I asked to see
it and as I didn't have an OM body with me, I asked to try it on the only
one I could see in their used display cabinet.
It just wouldn't fit the body - it clicked on the bayonet but wouldn't drop
all the way in. As the salesman was examining the lens mount I found myself
holding a beautiful black OM-2n body, in every bit as good cosmetic
condition as the chrome one that I'd had from new. I didn't buy the lens but
I did buy the body for 140 UKP with a Shoe 4. I had no reason to because my
original OM-2n and OM-40 are all I really *need* - it was just instant
'lympus lust.
I brought it home feeling very guilty and I still haven't found a suitable
opportunity to tell the wife. I did, however, content myself just a bit by
thinking that Tom Scales wouldn't consider it to be a big deal!
I've tried a few of my lenses with the body and there's no fitting problems,
so I wonder why the autofocus wouldn't fit - it is a Zuiko after all.

Regards,
Keith Berry (Birmingham, England)