Re: [OM] Autocollimator tests on filters

Subject: Re: [OM] Autocollimator tests on filters
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2000 16:29:05 -0800
Hi Joel:

<< but the real gist of it is that the disappointing effect of sample
variation would dictate either testing each specific example that one
might use, regardless of brand, or just not using filters at all. >>

Yes, you get my point, exactly.

But all that anyone has to do to test a filter is shoot a scene without
a filter, than with each filter they own. Shoot it at a wide open
aperture (to maximize any ill effects) and compare the results to the
shot without a filter. As my posted SQF test shows, the effects of a
poor filter are noticable. A good filter won't show image deterioration.

It would probably help to shoot a scene that causes lens flare, too.

As for filterless photography, I was just thinking how digitally one
could mimic the effect of using a black and white contrast filter (like
a R25) if they shot the scene using color film and then enhanced or
reduced a particular color in a scan using image manipulation software.
Hum, one more reason not to bother shooting B&W film.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV