Re: [OM] zone system - in olympus-digest V2 #1452

Subject: Re: [OM] zone system - in olympus-digest V2 #1452
From: John Pendley <jpendley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:32:35 -0500
Hello, all.  I responded to the same line in Doris's post that Stephen did.
It's very gracefully put, and for my money, it gets to the heart of what
photography is about.  I've remembered a line for years that opened up this
subject for me.  I think Andreas Feininger (sp?) wrote it.  Paraphrased, it goes
something like this.  The subject of photography is not objects.  The true
subject of photography is light and how light interacts with objects.  When I
started looking at light, I felt something new and exciting, and I knew the man
was right.  Light still excites me, even when I'm not behind a camera.  This is
why so many photographers talk of the "magic times" around dawn and dusk.  It's
why photographers are usually disappointed when they shoot in bright sunlight at
noon.  It's why we find that shooting in overcast conditions, or even mist, can
be magical.  Sorry if this sounds like a sermon.  I'm really just musing on an
old and favorite subject that Doris's line renewed for me.
Regards,
John