Re: [OM] focusing accuracy

Subject: Re: [OM] focusing accuracy
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 09:54:18 EST
>========================================>
>the cheesey plastic back to which the pressure plate is attached
>comes to mind.
>Joseph

The pressure plate is attached to the back via leaf springs, I believe,
such that the condition of the back is not important as long as the
springs are compressed against the film rails when the back is closed.
The back could be warped as hell and still press the plate against the
film and film rails. As long as the back is light tight, it's good.
But, the fact that the back is not interchangeable would mean that if
it does get bunged up, you either chuck the camera or contrive a way to
repair it (maybe using duct tape?? <g>)

As I said before, the weak spot in all SLR cameras is the lens mount
itself. It is very hard to maintain high precision when the lens mount
is bolted to the body. I think Leica has the least problems with this,
based on what I know about how thier cameras are made. I think in that
case the lens mount is machined on the case, and the shutter/film rail
assembly is inserted into the body. I'm sure the camera manufacturers
have scoped this out pretty well and have made thier design decisions
accordingly.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright