Re: [OM] Snowbound, Uninspired and Cabin-Fevered

Subject: Re: [OM] Snowbound, Uninspired and Cabin-Fevered
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 21:56:41 +0000
At 23:53 2/13/00 , Alex asked:

>Very nice John!
>
>Two questions--how do you like that Kodak 400VC versus Fuji NHGII(800) or
>NHG(400) films? And how were you determining your exposure readings?

Thanks!  Froze my fingers fiddling with the tripod for a long time at the
mansion/museum.

Films:
Haven't used the either of the Fuji films . . . but may try them or their
slower cousins.  I tend to use slower film, wanted the 160VC, couldn't get
it locally, so grabbed the 400VC.  Picked it for its very wide latitude.
Night shots can be very contrasty.  All the Portras have very neutral color
balance with a smoothness that picks up subtle textures.  Had to do some
tricky color balancing with the scans to correct the warm "yellow snow."
(Survival tip: don't eat yellow snow <g>.)  Used the equivalent of an 80A,
B, C or D filter.  If I couldn't get it exactly I left it on the cool side.
 How wide is the latitude on the Fuji NHGII/NHG?  How does it handle odd
man-made night lighting?  Always looking for other films for this type of
shooting.

Metering:
Since Kodak's Portras have such wide latitude I just used the OM-1n meter.
The Varta PX625 didn't poop out like the silver cells do in the OM-4.  May
be just lucky in that respect.  Also consulted the Kodak Pocket Photoguide
"existing light" wheel (a.k.a. Master Photoguide for the old timers) for a
sanity check which showed a one stop difference, but interpreted it as more
defining lighting than was present.  The OM-1n meter also closely matched
the ADITL 3 photo which was done using 160 film in the OM-4 at f/2.8 for
1/2 second.

Shift Lens and OM-1n Meter Oddity:
Did run into an interesting phenomenon with the 35mm shift lens.  The OM-1n
meter didn't respond readily to it when stopped down like it does to the
other "auto" lenses.  The OM-4's meter responds immdediately to the
stop-down.  I chalked it up to metering differences between the two bodies.
 Anyone else encounter this?

Thanks,
-- John