[OM] lurker emerges w/ questions

Subject: [OM] lurker emerges w/ questions
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 17:31:55 -0800
P.J. writes:

<< Everybody raves about the 80mm b/c of it's 1:1 ratio, etc., but what
is the verdict on the 135mm Macro? >>

It is comparing apples and oranges.  The 135mm f/4.5 (actually f/4 for
viewing) is a 1:10 optimized macro which just happens to focus to
infinity - and performs well at that distance. With its tripod collar it
is a very useful lens for table-top product photography, giving a very
useful working distance.  It also excels at shooting small critters that
spook easily - although I have never mastered the push pull focusing,
even after having this for about 14 years.  The small range helical
focusing (for fine focusing) is a VERY useful feature.

<< For that matter, how is magnification measured?  I have the 50mm
Macro and get what seems to be lifesize on a 4X6 print.  Obviously,
prints are not the measuring stick for magnification, but that is how I
think when I imagine the finished product. >>

Size on image:Size in real life. Example: 1" wide on the film:2" wide in
real life = 1:2. Another example: 4" wide on a print:2" wide in real
life = 2:1.  The key point here is what image are you referring to. Lens
specifications relate to the image on the film.

<< I tripped the shutter and it sounded like 1/4 sec. Next, I left the
f-stop the same and moved the camera to auto and tripped the sutter.
The shutter stayed open for well over 1/4 second, probably closer to 1
sec.  This happened for both my OM-2 and OM-2n.  I realize this is
pretty inexact, but I don't have the electronic background as some of
you clearly do. So, any thoughts on what might be causing this? >>

On auto, the meter was reading off the film plane.  Sounds like you had
no film in the camera, thus it was reading off a black surface.

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV