[OM] lurker emerges w/ questions

Subject: [OM] lurker emerges w/ questions
From: Johnsonpa@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 16:01:17 EST
Disclaimer: I am an amateur and some of these questions may seem obvious, but
having read this list off and on for a while you guys (and grrls!) seem to be
the best to ask.

So here goes:
Everybody raves about the 80mm b/c of it's 1:1 ratio, etc., but what is the
verdict on the 135mm Macro?

For that matter, how is magnification measured?  I have the 50mm Macro and get
what seems to be lifesize on a 4X6 print.  Obviously, prints are not the
measuring stick for magnification, but that is how I think when I imagine the
finished product.

Here is a question for the repairmen/women:  I have an OM-2 and the flash does
not work.  The problem is that my flash never reaches a full charge/recycles
(the little orange light won't light up).  Interestingly, it has a FIX or shoe
1 on it.  The shoe, thus, has no pin on the bottom, but the camera has a slot
for one.  Does that make sense?  So, does anybody know what my problem is?  I
will say that I once put an OM shoe from a friend's camera on the body and had
the same result (don't know which one, long time ago).

And if someone is getting ready to say that I need a shoe 2 or 3, do they screw
in the same direction as the shoe 1?  The shoe 1 and shoe 4 have arrows facing
the opposite direction.

Last question, I think: The thread on curtain speed, etc. got me thinking about
the accuracy of my meter.  I set the camera to manual in low light and the
meter read, for example, 1/4. (I don't have an eyecup, but tried to prevent
light from entering the viewfinder)  I tripped the shutter and it sounded like
1/4 sec.  Next, I left the f-stop the same and moved the camera to auto and
tripped the sutter.  The shutter stayed open for well over 1/4 second, probably
closer to 1 sec.  This happened for both my OM-2 and OM-2n.  I realize this is
pretty inexact, but I don't have the electronic background as some of you
clearly do.  So, any thoughts on what might be causing this?

That's all for now.  Apologies in advance for being long-winded.  I hesitate to
ask questions b/c I already have enough trouble reading the list as it stands
and don't want to make it even harder w/ my simple questions.
With that in mind, please cc: all replies to me.  Sometimes it's impossible to
read all the digests (Does anybody else have this problem?), and I don't want
to miss any replies.

Thanks in advance
--p.j.