[OM] Aperture Blades and Bokeh [was: How many aperture blades on 50/2 m

Subject: [OM] Aperture Blades and Bokeh [was: How many aperture blades on 50/2 macro?]
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:45:40 +0000
At 00:33 2/11/00 , Vaughan wrote:
>As far as number of blades producing the smoothest bokeh (or whatever)
>surely a single blade -- a piece of metal with a nice perfect round hole
>in it, like a waterhouse stop -- would be the best, save for its lack of
>adjustment of course.

I am wondering on some of my Zuikos if the bokeh improves as the lens is
opened up?  This is not related to depth of field or to diffraction, but to
the shape of the hole.  The blades seem to have a slight curvature to them,
but it doesn't show up until the lens is within the fastest three stops.
Of course when it is wide open, it's the entire round hole of the lens.

-- John