Re: [OM] lurker emerges w/ questions

Subject: Re: [OM] lurker emerges w/ questions
From: HI100@xxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 01:17:28 EST
Asking about how to leave the capacitor in a flash gun GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
writes:

<<  I think it should be left fully charged. Someone else please correct me
if
 I'm wrong, because that's the way I do mine. How about it, one of you
 engineering types? >>

It doesn't matter since the capacitor will slowly self discharge in any case;
large electrolyte flash capacitors are usually relatively leaky. Sometimes
the designers add resitors across the capacitors as a safety feature to
prevent people from shocking themselves when opening a flash that has been
off for some time and thus "should be safe". The self discharge rate is very
non-linear so the voltage drops off more rapidily to start with. This means
although the capacitor does self discharge it may take quite a long time to
finally go to zero volts.

Tim Hughes
Hi100@xxxxxxx