Re: RE :[OM] EXTENSION FOR 20mm MACRO

Subject: Re: RE :[OM] EXTENSION FOR 20mm MACRO
From: Frank van Lindert <franklin@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 22:05:04 +0100
On Thu, 10 Feb 2000 11:17:07 -0800, Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Hey Frank -- any good macro junkie knows that you focus by moving the
>camera back and forth? :-)

Of course I know that - but I have always thought that the OM register
of 46.0 mm didn't allow for sharp focus when mounting without
extension.
But it does indeed - I stood corrected already...

Only question which remains is, why Olympus does not mention this
possibility. They say clearly in all books that either bellows or
auto-tube is necessary for attaching of both 20 and 38 macro...

>Either of those lenses -- the newer ones, in the OM mount -- will
>mount directly to the body, and will focus as Mark describes. In
>addition, they have a helical focus ring for an EXTREMELY LIMITED
>focusing range.

>: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>

I tried the 'Royal Screw' older version 38 and 20 macros too, by means
of PMTob plates attached directly to an OM body, and those also can be
focused - without 'external' extension.

Frank.