RE: [OM] Are these teles any good?

Subject: RE: [OM] Are these teles any good?
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 00:36:38 -0500
>I came across two 400 mm teles today that were for sale  The lenses in
question are:
>Novoflex T-Noflexar 5.6/400
>Sigma 5.6/400 IF
>Are they worth considering? If so, what would be good prices for them?

Take a look at Gary Reese's site on the Novoflex lens.  Pretty hard to beat.
Gary has one and so do I.  I have found mine to be very quick to focus, I
can easily follow a soccer game with it.  Center is extremely sharp.  I
would guess that a "complete'"400, with shoulder stock, grip and bellows
would be ~$300-$400.
Things to look for/consider:
1. Do the lens sections and bellows attach by screw mount or bayonet?
Bayonet is latest, best and fastest.
2. Is it possibly a Rapid Focus (current version; no bellows, more like a
tube) or the older and more common Follow Focus?
3. Is there a bellows?  You'll want it for closer than 12 feet.
4. Trigger grips are available, does this lens have one?
5. Possible disadvantage of Novoflex is bulkiness of  grip, makes for some
difficulties on tripods unless using the tripod ring.
6. A little difficult to transport compactly
7. 600 f/8 section can also fit on the same body

No experience with the Sigma

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx