RE: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??

Subject: RE: [OM] contact lenses instead of glasses??
From: "Giles" <cnocbui@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 01:02:41 +0000
Eximer laser kirotomy (sp?).  It does not involve slicing the eye open,
however it does involve scraping off the top (epithelial?) layer of the
cornea then the underlying tissue is vapourised with an eximer laser
(ultraviolet) with the distribution of intensity regulated so as to shape
the tissue.  I believe a few zaps are required.  Then the epithelial layer
grows back within a day or so.  Rather painful, apparently, until it does.

I once considered having this done myself but thought I would wait for any
bugs to be ironed out first, especially as at the time they were just
commissioning the module which would allow differential shaping to correct
for astigmatism - my main personal bug-bare.

Giles