[OM] Squeaky straps on packs

Subject: [OM] Squeaky straps on packs
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2000 17:04:49 -0800
I've been following the post on bags and packs and thought I might have
something to add. In
the 1980's I used a Tamarac bag that seemed ok.  Since it was not nearly big
enough when I
started doing some location work in the early 1990's I got me the largest
Photoflex Galen
Rowell bag.  I been using it for several years now and I must admit I like it
quite a bit
and would not hesitate to get another one.  Normally I'm not too excited about
Photoflex's
products. Their light stands and soft boxes are priced right but I would not
call them even
close to pro quality.  Sure they will work in a pinch but normally not a good
long term
investment.  However I think their bags are great, especially the Galen Rowell
(whoever the
hell he is) series.  If you catch one of their closeouts you can get great
deals on these
bags buying direct from Photoflex. I sure never heard any squeaky straps.
Normally I just
use the bag to transport the stuff.
When I get to the site (normally an event or place for VR) I stow the unused
gear in the bag
in a safe place and put everything in my vest that I can.  I think a good high
quality vest
can be another route as opposed to walking around with a squeaky bag.  Usually
I'm using no
more than three wide lenses and usually three bodies (either 2 OM's and one
Nikon or 2
Nikons and one OM. I just hate loading film on the location. All bodies usually
have qr
plates so moving the bodies on and off the tripod head is clean. Other than
lenses and
bodies I have strobes (usually 2-3 T32's) radio slaves and sometimes some
cabling and other
bits and pieces.  So I sometimes feel more like a construction worker than
photographer, but
the vest is an absolute necessity.

Phillip Franklin