Re: [OM] Need advice on long tele-lens for OM4

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice on long tele-lens for OM4
From: WKato@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 23:54:18 EST

> I have always been interested in trying my hand at bird and wildlife
>  photography, but have never had time.  Having retired, I would now like to
>  pursue that ambition.  May I solicit advice on a good long lens for use on
>  my Olympus OM4?  I assume I should look for something in the range of 1000
>  to 2000 mm.  I realize there is a price/quality tradeoff, but not being a
>  professional photographer, I would prefer staying under $500 if at all
>  possible.
>
>  Thanks for any help.
>
>  Bob Harter

You should tell us what you do have first.  Can we assume you already have
the Zuiko 300/4.5?  This is a very good telephoto that won't set you back too
far.  It also works quite well with the 1.4X converter if you can find one.
I found the 300/4.5 + 1.4X to be the equivalent of a Sigma 400/5.6 so I sold
the Sigma.

In the 400 to 500 range, the Sigma and Tokina 400/5.6 are very good but you
will have to find them used. The Zuiko 400/6.3 I think is overpriced.  There
is a Sigma 500/4.5 and a Tamron 400/4 but they are out of your price range.
The Zuiko 500 mirror is reported to be very sharp but you have to put up with
donut shaped highlights.

Above 500 you should be in another system such as Canon or Nikon but get
ready to spend multiple thousands.

Above 500 the multiple compromises of shooting with a moderately heavy
tripod, camera and lens shake, the tripod head used, the lack of light,
sharpness problems with fast film, transporting the gear to a good site, etc.
essentially bar this type of photography.  You are better off hiding in a
blind and waiting with a shorter lens.

Hope this helps.

Warren