Re: [OM] Need advice on long tele-lens for OM4

Subject: Re: [OM] Need advice on long tele-lens for OM4
From: Mark <om4ti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2000 01:49:24 -0500
Bob,
   Choosing a lens for birds or wildlife would depend on several factors. Are
the
birds in flight or stationary? Wildlife running? Distance to subject, etc.
Sometime there is no way to get in close and use a shorter, faster lens.
Sometimes there is.

   I can not help with advice on a good tele under $500 but I would like to
address a few of Warren's comments.

   First, I have never owned the Sigma or Tokina super-teles so my comments are
limited to my ownership and experience with the long Zuikos. Except for the
250/2
I have owned every fixed focal length Zuiko lens from 180 up to the 1000.

   The Zuiko 500/8 mirror is fairly sharp but I have always found it lacking
contrast. It is amazingly light weight and easy to carry.  It is small enough
that I pack it on trips that I am not planning the use of a long tele. We have
had three of them among the 4 Oly users in my family, we still have two. The
poor
contrast is common among all of the cats that I have shot with. I also don't
really like the lack of aperture control.

   As to the 400/6.3, yes it is demanding a high price at the moment. I have
found it very sharp with good contrast. This lens gives me back aperture
control.
I shoot with this quite a bit when I want a long lens but can't take the huge
600/6.5 with me.

   Above 500 both of the Zuikos are great. I have had the 1000/11 for probably
12-15 years. It has produced some fantistic images on the occasions that I used
it. But it is very big and heavy and quite bulky in it's case. I have only used
the 1000 a few times since aquiring my 600/6.5. I think the 600/6.5 is a GREAT
super-tele, the best one I have owned. It is bright and very sharp with plenty
of
contrast. I have exposed quite a bit of film with mine. The weight and size are
it's drawback in some situations but is only 2/3 the size of the 1000 and much
lighter. .

   I regards to prices on used glass, Oly's 600 is priced at about 1/4 of the
600/4 that is offered by Canon and less than half of Nikon's 600/5.6. The 1000s
are about the same between Olympus and Nikon, not sure about Canon.

                                    Mark