Re: [OM] My thoughts om OM4 and/or suggestions, should an OM5 ever be...

Subject: Re: [OM] My thoughts om OM4 and/or suggestions, should an OM5 ever be...and new Zuiko-glass - ahh....
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <thomas.clausen@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 18:42:14 -0700
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, you wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Question, what benefit do you get by using a winder
> in manual mode with a spot meter?
> The techniques seem to cancel each other out.
> And then you have the added weight.

Well, on my OM2s/p I find it most convenient to use the winder: right hand is
used for releasing the shutter - left hand for adjusting the exposure and
focus. The winder is most convenient if I shoot multiple frames of the same
picture (which I do more often than not). True, if the target is moving (such
as a ski-runner), adjusting the shutter speed and apeture requires more of a
lucky guess. However shooting a few frames at a time (well, in sequence,
really) is the prefered method for me - almost regardless of the motive.

Besides, using the winder becomes a habit :)

> In my opinion
> An OM 4 should advance to a OM 6
> A OM 3 should advance to a OM 5

I agree....

> Neither will ever happen.

I hope you are wrong...

> I would like to see Olympus start advertising the
> OM3 and 4 though and drop the price a bit.
> We could use a retro mentality in Photography.

True. See a previous post of mine on why this probably will not
happen....(SLR's are clumsy, compared to the small zoom-compacts, which most
people fancy these days. And the old "sales point" of the SLR's in their glory
days among 'the public' was - face it - the ability to change the lens. With
zoom-compacts, most people consider the SLR's to be clumsy, heavy and
expensive. And - for most people, not us on the list - this is true.)

<SNIP>

> You are going to have trouble deciding weather to use the
> 85 or the 100 they are both soooo nice.

Well, that's one argument for carrying multiple bodies :) That I can have them
both "active" concurrently

> Enjoy the new lenses and welcome back.

Thanks - off-list activity did in this case indicate more "lens-activity" and
darkroom-activity. Less talking about gear and more using it. Which - in the
end - is nice :)

Care and best wishes to all

--thomas

--