RE: [OM] 135/4.5 & 1.4XA

Subject: RE: [OM] 135/4.5 & 1.4XA
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2000 10:22:21 -0800
-----Original Message-----
So in the situation where you are using tubes/bellows with a teleconverter,
where should you put the teleconverter, between the body & tubes or between
the tubes and lens ?

What difference does it make ?

Wayne Harridge
------------------------------

Hi Wayne,
The teleconverter (TC) effects what is connected immediately in front of it.
You can get different magnification and working distance depending on which
combo you use.

Normal setup: Body + ?mm Ext + Lens.
Useing TC to increase the amount of extension (Body + TC/Ext + Lens).
ie.
A)65mm Ext + 200mm f4 = .33x mag @ 28" working distance (WD).
Increase Ext to 116mm gives;
B)(2xTC/58mm ext) or 116mm Ext + 200mm f4 = .67x mag @ 21" WD.
Note: Increasing Extension gives more magnification and less working
distance.

To use the TC to change the lens mm, (Body + Ext + TC/Lens).
ie.
C)65mm Ext + 100mm f2.8 = .67x mag @ 9" WD.
Increase 100mm to 200mm with 2x TC gives;
D)65mm Ext + 2x TC/100mm f2.8 (now 200mm f5.6)= "same as A above" 67x mag @
21" WD.
Note: Increasing Lens MM focal length will decrease magnification and
increase WD.

The mag and WD info comes from a chart I have hanging in my office.  It is
called "Chart of Photographic Ranges" from the operating instructions for
the 65-116mm Auto Tube.  I added the WD #'s from other Oly charts.
A handy chart.

Hope this helps,
Buddy Walters