Re: [OM] the future of film

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of film
From: Richard Schaetzl <Richard.Schaetzl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 20:43:26 +0100
Ian A. Nichols schrieb:

> On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, John A. Lind wrote:

> > Don't categorize "digital" as a completely "green" alternative to film and
> > photochemistry.  It's definitely not.
>
> I think magnitude is important here.  The chemical waste generated by
> making the electronics for a digital camera is a one-off thing - once
> the camera is made, that's it for the rest of its life (or at least
> until a circuit is replaced due to failure).

Callculations made for PC indicate, that the manufactoring of
electronics is a _very_poluting_ technology. There are extrem agressiv
acids, poisonous elements and and an enormous amount of energy
neccessary.

> I think that advances in (relatively)
> non-polluting printing technology (e.g. inkjets),

Relativly "non poluting inkjet technology", still polutes during use
and production.

I believe the general public grossly underestimates the polution
conected with the use of electronics.

> Until
> you factor in the 18 month redundancy cycle that seems to be expected of
> PCs at any rate.... but that's another rant.

Exactly _that_ makes it even more poluting, the build in obsolescence
and irepairability of this "she danced only one summer" toys. Just
compare the three decades lasting OMs with a digital camera which might
be used only for one or two years.

Regards

Richard