Re: [OM] the future of film

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of film
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:16:17 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 17 Dec 1999, John A. Lind wrote:

> Investigate some time what gets used to create electronics.  Start with the
> components (IC's and discretes).  Work up to printed circuit board level
> with board laminates and solder, and then look at all the plastics at
> assembly level.

[big snip]

> Don't categorize "digital" as a completely "green" alternative to film and
> photochemistry.  It's definitely not.

I think magnitude is important here.  The chemical waste generated by
making the electronics for a digital camera is a one-off thing - once
the camera is made, that's it for the rest of its life (or at least
until a circuit is replaced due to failure).  With silver photography
you have a smaller "pollution bill" for the camera electronics and an
ongoing "pollution bill" for the manufacture, processing & printing of
every film that goes through it.  I think that advances in (relatively)
non-polluting printing technology (e.g. inkjets), miniaturisation &
increased reliability of electronics and improvements in storage &
display technology combine to make digital a bit greener overall.  Until
you factor in the 18 month redundancy cycle that seems to be expected of
PCs at any rate.... but that's another rant.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |