Re: [OM] the future of film

Subject: Re: [OM] the future of film
From: "Dirk and Carla Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 17:46:01 +0000
>Dirk,
>Investigate some time what gets used to create electronics.  Start with the
>components (IC's and discretes).

Yeah, you are right. Chip fabs employ lots have dangerous chemicals and have
a significant impact on the environment.

I went to the EPA web site and looked over their online information about
photographic chemicals and processes. I think I can relax, since the EPA is
going to, or already has, considered loosening the way silver (the primary
pollutant) is measured in the environment. It appears that the silver ion
(silver by itself uncombined with other chemicals) is dangerous, but that
photographic process waste only contians very small amounts of it. Almost
all of the silver in the waste is bound to other chemicals, rendering it
less harmful to humans and aquatic species. The measuring method as of a
couple of years ago was to measure the total silver content and not just the
ionic form.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright