RE: [OM] Zip drive repair?

Subject: RE: [OM] Zip drive repair?
From: "BJ Nicholls" <bjnicholls@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 23:14:44 -0700
Hi Denton,

Have you tried a restore? You may have a later version, but the original
Windows 95/98 backup has a Norton Backup (long dead product) look and feel
and will recover Norton tapes (QIC type). I believe Norton had the same
folks that later created Arcada Backup subcontract the software. Arcada
never delivered on it's "total backup" of all files needed to recover your
Windows system, plus they had some terrible design flaws in the software. If
you lost your master catalog file, you could only rebuild a catalog for one
tape at a time and you couldn't save the tape's recovered catalog. A
nightmare if you have a lot of backup or large capacity tapes. I had both.
Seagate bought Arcada, came out with a new version that didn't support
backups done with Arcada Backup and generally showed the poorest customer
support I've seen in the industry. Not surprising they sold the backup
business which is now Veritas Software.

By all means, test your backup's restore before you have a problem. And
remember that you'll need to keep a copy of the backup program and the
version of Windows it's designed to run under for as long as your files are
viable candidates for restoration. I've been burned by the best backup
software available for Windows (aside from the expensive and powerful
network software out there)... big time. CD's without funky data compression
from backup software will be readable by any Windows computer in the
forseeable future.

Best,

BJ Nicholls