RE: [OM] Scanning Res for Web

Subject: RE: [OM] Scanning Res for Web
From: "Ian A. Nichols" <I.A.Nichols@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 09:30:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Dave Bulger (quoting Joel) wrote:

> From your note below, can I assume that TIF files with LZW compression don't
> compromise the image at all?  I.e. like JPG compression...
>
> 1) Scan at 2700 ppi (or high as possible)
> 2) Save original image as .tif file at 2700 ppi with LZW compression on

LZW is indeed a lossless compression scheme, however, I have found that
with scanned photographic images it doesn't work very well at all.
There's no quality loss but I've found that the resulting files actually
get *bigger* as often as they get smaller, and that any reduction you do
get is not worth the extra processing overhead to decompress the
"compressed" data.

Using TIFF without any compression gives about the same average file
size with much quicker load times, IME.

Try it, you'll see.

|  /  | |/-\  |                      Ian A. Nichols                    |
|  \-/| |  /  |                  i.a.nichols@xxxxxxxxxx                |
|             *                    iann@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                  |