Re: [OM] Scanning Res for Web

Subject: Re: [OM] Scanning Res for Web
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 14:53:43 -0700
At 05:18 PM 11/29/99 +0000, Brian Windrim wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I have some comments and questions regarding Garth's suggestions:
>
>>> *Input* DPI, on the other hand, should be as high as possible (you can
>always do dimensional reduction of the image later).
>
>I assume you mean the natural scanning resolution of the device.
>Overscanning (interpolation) wouldn't get you anything if you're reducing
>later.

Correct.  My apologies -- I always assume that everyone scans at the highest
purely mechanical resolution available.  Natural bias on my part.

>>> This gives you more raw information to work with for any other operations
>such as image cropping, sharpening, unsharp masking, etc.
>>> Then reduce to target screen size as a last step.
>
>What I've read on the subject strongly suggests that size reduction should
>be the second-to-last step, with either sharpening or unsharp masking being
>the last.

I have tried it both ways.  My comments are meant to be somewhat generalized,
not necessarily "gospel" (not that anybody in their right mind ever listens to
me anyways...  ;-)  I'm unable to detect a real difference in some images,
whereas with others, yes, your sources are correct.  Still others seem to work
best using dimensional reduction as the final step.  I assume the differences
in every case are attributable to the statistical distribution of the image
information in the file -- I've never been curious enough (or had enough time,
which for me is much the same thing) to investigate further.

>>> When reducing your image dimensions, always use bi-cubic resampling (it's
>the best quality overall).
>
>I sometimes use the Photoshop Crop Tool to do resizing, as this allows
>resizing and rotation in a single pass. Unlike the Image Size dialog box,
>the Crop Tool settings box doesn't have a choice of resampling methods. Does
>it always use bi-cubic?

No idea.  RTFM, I suppose.

>>> Remember that, if people are going to be viewing your work in a Web
>browser, you have to subtract some pixels from each dimension (you'll have
>to figure out what you're comfortable with), since the browser's window is
>not the same aspect ratio as any of the standard screen dimensions.
>
>Surely it's the *size* of the usable part of the browser's window (width and
>height, in pixels) that matters, not the aspect ratio?

Depending on how you crop or initially scan, it could be either that's your
limiting factor.  Everyone thinks a little differently about how to reach the
goal, and proceeds along those lines.  If the aspect ratio of a browser screen
(with your monitor at 640 x 480, for example) is different than your monitor,
then by definition you're losing pixels in at least one dimension.  That's
really all I was implying.  It's complicated a bit by the fact that you never
really know anything about the final output device for your images, or the
browser's settings -- there could be more control bars showing, or less, for
example, and this changes the aspect ratio as well.  Ultimately, I just crop
and downsample to what I *want*, and if your browser can't deal with it
properly, oh well, that's the beauty of the Web.

>I'm new to this stuff so apologies if I seem a bit slow.

As the Aussies on this list might reply, "No worries, mate."

To everybody: Again, I sayeth unto you, go to

     www.scantips.com

and read up, for yea and verily, that Website is a mighty work, and righteous
before the Almighty Algorithm.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/