[OM] More info on Prototype Zuikos?

Subject: [OM] More info on Prototype Zuikos?
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:42:58 -0500
I just got a copy of the OM-1 Brochure dated 12-73 (7312-M30). The cover is black with the OM-1 Logo in raised white letters on a beige/black marbled square. Pictures inside show the OM-1 w/o the MD logo, but the text all says OM-1 MD.

As Hans van Veluwen has pointed out in on the e-SIF and here, there were more lenses made than came to market in the early days of the OM system. The two Zuiko Lens Group pictures in this brochure clearly show the 300/6.3 and the 400/4.5 that were never marketed. In addition, one of the group pictures shows the mysterious 90-250 F/? that may have ultimately morphed into the 80-250/5. The lens is also shown in the brochure's OM-System chart. Curious that the 400/4.5 and 300/6.3 are NOT in the system chart. But the 90-250 definitely looks larger in diameter than an 80-250/5. Maybe it was an F/4 or F/4.5??

Also one of the group pictures shows the 135/4.5 Bellows Macro mounted on either a fixed extension tube or its long-tubed back lens cap (I can't tell which, but the picture's cap is about 500nger than the one I have. Perhaps they mounted it on a fixed tube and used a standard back lens cap just for the photo?). But it has a wide, slotted gripping focus ring like the zoom ring on a 70/150/4, not the diamond gillouche that ultimately appeared on the production 135/4.5 and all other Zuikos. That would be the only lens with a focusing ring like that if it had been produced. The 135/4.5 is also NOT pictured on the OM Macrophotography page with the 50/3.5, 80/4, 38/3.5, and 20/3.5 macros. It is shown on the OM System Chart though. Maybe they hadn't figured out how to use the lens yet? :-)

I also saw 2 pictures of the pre-production 18/3.5 ultra wide angle with the permanent 72mm front lens ring, not the 49-72mm adapter ring that ultimately appeared on the production lens, as Hans pointed out. Very interesting. I wonder if any of those ever came on the open market?

I wonder what else will turn up with more looking at the early brochures?

Skip