Re: [OM] DC-10 Reprise in NG

Subject: Re: [OM] DC-10 Reprise in NG
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 16:56:19 -0500
Gary's right though, Lockheed got skunked ;-) in the commercial marketplace and the L-1011/Tristar was the last of their commercial aircraft ventures. Delta and TWA had/has lots of them, and they are just now being phased out of service.

Also, before Boeing absorbed MD, MD also produced a follow-on to the DC-10 called the MD-11, which was purchased by a few airlines. It looks like a DC-10 with upturned winglets (terminology?) on the end of the main wing like a 747-400. I know I've seen a Finnair MD-11, and I believe that Western (purchased by Delta) also had a few MD-11's. However, most MD-11's were produced as freighters, and they sold quite a few of those until Boeing killed the plane outright. They just couldn't justify two planes in direct competition 767 vs. MD-11, and the 777 was on the horizon.

<< Also, the image doesn't look like a fisheye to me. . . .maybe an 18 or 21. Is this info. in the original article?>>

Unless I'm really daft, I don't know of any way to get a curved horizon at less than space-shuttle altitudes unless you use a fisheye lens. And that picture definitely has a curved horizon. Not to usurp Siddiq, but I still have this picture on my photo page if anyone is interested. Hopefully he will get the how-they-did-it page, but I don't think it described the lens used, just how they mounted the camera on the tail. http://www.skipwilliams.com/photo.htm

Skip