RE: Skillfully scanning tricky trannies WAS( [OM] scanners for dummies)

Subject: RE: Skillfully scanning tricky trannies WAS( [OM] scanners for dummies)
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 23:00:36 -0600
Zuiks,

I believe I'm going to scan a tranny both with & without the mask and see
how it turns out.  I'll either let the list know or post 'em to my web
site.

OM Content:  Had to buy another camera backpack today for the trip to Zion
next month to hold the OM hardware I'm taking there..  Zuikoholism is
raging here.  And I'm still looking for a 100/2 and a 21/?

Dave

Dave Bulger wrote:

> I concur. Kodak photo CDs are great quality, and the process doesn't
crease
> my 6x6 and 6x7 trannies the way folding them into the ES-10 does.  <g>
>
> Here's a complication -- trannies I print on Ilfochrome almost require
> contrast masking to print with any sort of manageable contrast range
> (thanks George!).  Should I leave the mask on for scanning, with the idea
> that it will perform the same function for the scanner that it does for
the
> Ilfochrome?

Interesting idea. Would reduce the total dynamic range of the slide that
the scanner sees.  Might get more shadow detail that way. I'm just
speculating.  You'd have to have perfect mask alignment.  And you'd
probably have to pump up the contrast once you scanned it.  Might be
worth a try.