Skillfully scanning tricky trannies WAS( [OM] scanners for dummies)

Subject: Skillfully scanning tricky trannies WAS( [OM] scanners for dummies)
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 12:35:14 -0600
I concur. Kodak photo CDs are great quality, and the process doesn't crease
my 6x6 and 6x7 trannies the way folding them into the ES-10 does.  <g>

Here's a complication -- trannies I print on Ilfochrome almost require
contrast masking to print with any sort of manageable contrast range
(thanks George!).  Should I leave the mask on for scanning, with the idea
that it will perform the same function for the scanner that it does for the
Ilfochrome?

My local Ilfo lab is getting away from contrast masking because Kodak has
allegedly stopped making the CM film and there's no viable substitute.
 They're moving to digital and have produced some wonderful
35mm-enlarged-to-7cm-so-I-can-print-them-in-my-6x7-enlarger transparencies
from me.  The lab tech claims he scans 'em in to photoshop, reduces
contrast, and output them to the 7cm tranny for me.  I don't know how this
works without upping contrast and losing detail, but it does.

Dave