RE: Skillfully scanning tricky trannies WAS( [OM] scanners for dummies)

Subject: RE: Skillfully scanning tricky trannies WAS( [OM] scanners for dummies)
From: Dave Bulger <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 21:46:03 -0600
George,

I misspoke.  The output film they're using comes on a 4x5 sheet -- they
just output the size as 6x7 so's I can cut it down and fit it in the neg
carrier.

The film they're using is Fuji DOF per the lettering on the side of the
sheet.  Mean anything to you?

I can look at these things through a decently powerful loupe and still not
see any dots.

Dave

>  They're moving to digital and have produced some wonderful
> 35mm-enlarged-to-7cm-so-I-can-print-them-in-my-6x7-enlarger
transparencies
> from me.  The lab tech claims he scans 'em in to photoshop, reduces
> contrast, and output them to the 7cm tranny for me.  I don't know how
this
> works without upping contrast and losing detail, but it does.

Can do wonders with photoshop.  I was not aware they were able to get
real quality film output.  A frien tried this about 2 yrs ago with a 4x5
and the digi output film was inferior to the analog 4x5 input film even
after much personal attention by the lab. He gave up.  2 years is a long
time in the did world though.