Re: [OM] scanners for dummies

Subject: Re: [OM] scanners for dummies
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 22:47:06 -0700
At 08:16 PM 11/19/99 -0800, Acer V wrote:
>Curious, but do the members here take such meticulous care for scans even
>for webpage display at mediocre resolutions in the interests of reasonable
>downloads (around 50kb normally, ) for JPGs sized roughly 640x480?

Yes.  The general rule I follow is "start with the highest quality you possibly
can, and work from there."  Actually, come to think of it, that's the way I
work in my business, too.  So far, the clients seem to think it's a good rule.
;-)

>Sounds to me like an rather long sequence of effort for little gain.

In terms of actual time, it's very quick, once you're used to it.  And in fact,
the only reason some people see "little gain" in the finished product is
because they're also viewing the finished product on mediocre monitors or with
mediocre video cards (or both).  Makes a *big* difference.

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/