RE: [OM] new user

Subject: RE: [OM] new user
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:09:13 -0700
At 11:27 PM 11/19/99 -0500, Lou Riina wrote:
>I'm not sure who I am responding to John or Dirk but thanks for the reply
>You still don't know anyone who can afford new zuiko lenses I really went
>out on a limb but I had to have a macro for work I am pleased to hear you
>say it was a deal as the vendor was a friend of the family. Please what is
>the F2 lens and in what way is it superior to what I purchased?
>Lou

Lou;

The Zuiko 50mm F/2.0 macro is considered by many both within and outside of the
Oly community as one of the finer examples of "normal" focal length macro
lenses ever made by anyone, anywhere, anytime.  Besides being outstandingly
bright, it also has great resolution and sharpness through most of its aperture
range, with almost undetectable image distortion of any kind.  Check out Gary
Reese's page of test results for Olympus OM series lenses at:

   http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm

for more info.  Gary found that, wide open, image quality suffered somewhat
(not unusual for any lens, actually), but by the time you closed down to F/5.6,
subjective image quality was as good as or even slightly better than the
justly-famous Leitz 50mm F/2.0 Summicron-M macro lens at the same aperture.  By
F/8, the Zuiko was achieving subjectives of A+, and was actually
*outperforming* the Summicron-M from there through its minimum aperture of
F/16.  Yes, it's an expensive lens, but compared to a Leitz of the same focal
length and function, it's a bargain new, and downright theft if you buy one
used for a decent price.  ;-)

Garth

"A bad day doing photography is better
 than a good day doing just about
 anything else."

The Unofficial Olympus Web Photo Gallery at:

   http://www.taiga.ca/~gallery/