[OM] Re: OM2000 build quality (was "Cosina 2000" etc.)

Subject: [OM] Re: OM2000 build quality (was "Cosina 2000" etc.)
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 20:23:57 -0600
Hi Ingemar,

I sat down with the OM2000 and studied its "build quality" last night. The
only really obvious "structural" plastic on it is the back.  The timer
lever has a somewhat cheap or gimpy feel to it.  Given the amount of use it
gets (I use it for the equivalent of MLU), it will probably be the first
thing to break on mine.  The lever to shift from center-weighted to spot
seems a bit flimsy. Those are the most apparent weaknesses.  I trust
1998-era plastics more than OM-10 era plastics, too, but what I see really
is mostly aluminum.

The film advance lever and mechanism seem cheaper than my OM-2S but
smoother and more fluid.  The shutter is louder and not as sexy of course
(!), but the OM-2S is in a class by itself in the sexy shutter competition,
as we all know. (Clive, you out there?)

One of the things I have to "work around" with the OM2000 is the
never-ready display -- the fact that you have to have your finger slightly
depressing the shutter button to get a meter reading.  I do find it nice to
have the display up and running for a period of time while I adjust things
on the tripod, look and meter, adjust, look and meter some more.  I find it
convenient simply to put a cable release in the shutter and use it
"remotely" to actuate the meter.  One could even use the bulb lock on a
decent cable release to keep the meter actuated indefinitely in this way
(but I have not yet done that).  I would predict that the lack of a
"meter/display on" mode might be a hurdle for your mother and sister if
there is a meter-on mode in the OM-10.  The OM2000 seems a better match for
persons who are beginning in photography and want to learn to control all
the elements of exposure;  and for experienced photographers who continue
to like and exploit that control.

Also, it's hard to compare things you can buy new with things you can't.
As long as my OM2000 is working well, all I can say is I feel like a bandit.

If you want your OM-10 back, I wouldn't hesitate getting your mother and
sister a OM2000.  If you could find them a good OM-2N or OM-2S, they might
enjoy this camera more coming off of an OM-10. But that's just a guess.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, IA USA