[OM] Re: OM2000 (was "The New Kid On The Block")

Subject: [OM] Re: OM2000 (was "The New Kid On The Block")
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:40:34 -0600
At 09:57 PM 11/10/1999 -0600, Jim you wrote:
>Thanks for the quick review of the 2000. The shutter stop-down/mirror lock-up
>sequence seems superior to the manual mirror lock up of the OM-1. It would be
>ideal for astro-photography, which I am clumsily learning.
>
>Question is....should I buy more lenses for my OM-1 or buy a 2000? Perhaps I
>should wait until I get my auction money from ebay first. But then again,
I could
>use plastic and pay it off later.....hmmmm.

I think the OM-1 is probably still the champ for astro-photography and will
not be displaced by other models, I'm guessing (but I'll defer to others on
this).  The self-timer/mirror-lockup/aperture stopdown on the OM2000 is
probably better for situations in which the Nth degree of sharpness is
desired, particularly at shutter speeds between 1/30 to 1/2, where a
resonance or vibration may be apt to degrade the exposure.  There is some
evidence that this happens with the OM-1, probably from the aperture
stopdown mechanism rather than mirror slap.

The OM2000 seems like an awfully good value for the money, but it doesn't
appear to be built for the long haul like the single-digit OM series
bodies. When you consider how long your OM-1 has been around and how we
expect our "new" 15 year old cameras never to miss a trick, an OM-4T would
amortize (word?) nicely over its projected lifespan and might even be
cheaper viewed in that way.  Nevertheless, I've got an OM2000 in the bag
and it does yeoman's service.

To answer your question, I'd get the lenses you need before adding more
bodies.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA