Re: [OM] The New Kid On The Block

Subject: Re: [OM] The New Kid On The Block
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:39:31 -0600
At 12:20 PM 11/10/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>BTW: What's the consensus on the OM-2000? I saw the body and 35-70 zoom for
>$200 at Camera World. Seemed like a decent deal. The spot metering, aluminum
>body, and nice finish looks appealing. The lens looks cheap.
>
>Regards
>
>jim mueller

Hi Jim and welcome. Consensus?  What's that? <g>

The OM2000 works very well for me.  It doesn't seem anything like a
traditional OM camera.  If you insist on having shutter speed ring on the
lens mount, you'll never cotton to this camera.  The meters work very well.
 There is a shutter lock on it which I think is darn near a factory defect,
but this is easily modified without wrecking any parts.

No motor/winder capability or interchangeable screens. Viewfinder seems
brighter than an OM-1, not quite as bright as an OM-2S/4T with a 2-series
screen (which are newer, brighter screens -- but you can't use them in your
OM-1 without some mods to the screen tab and probably your meter calibration).

The self-timer gives mirror lockup and aperture stop down and can be cocked
to fire after variable numbers of seconds.  I've gotten exposures in 2-3
seconds, which I find to be superior in its usefulness to the self-timer on
the OM-2S and OM-4T, which can only shoot after running through its 10-12
second sequence (unless you shut the timer off mid-sequence), although the
mechanism on the OM2000 is a lot less sophisticated than on those other
cameras.  (Sorry, that was quite a sentence.)

I'd skip the lens, from what I've heard.

Joel Wilcox
Iowa City, Iowa USA