Re: [OM] I can't digest the Digest

Subject: Re: [OM] I can't digest the Digest
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 00:53:34 -0800
In the matter of Olympus-Digest files of over 60K size locking up Eudora
Light, sometimes:

>Wayne Shumaker <wayne@xxxxxx> wrote:

>With Eudora, you can always look directly at the *.mbx file with a text
>editor and read your mail.

Yep, that's what I've had to do.  I have an editor that can read large
files. Thanks for the tip on Emacs.  I use TSE (The Semware Editor, son of
Qedit), but I always liked Emacs on UNIX.

>You will see that each mail begins with
>something like this:
>
> From ???@??? Wed Nov 03 21:14:21 1999
>
>...etc. You can then check to see if there are any possible sequences
>of characters such as ???@??? to see if it is confusing Eudora. I
>personally have found Eudora to be very robust and I'm sure the digest
>size is not likely to be the problem. The size may be a problem with
>the server though.

Next time that it happens, I'll see if I see anything obvious.

At 12:36 PM 11/2/1999 -0600, Ken wrote:
>I too am having problems with the digest and I'm using Eudora Pro.  It
>chokes (locks up) when the file exceeds 58K.

>I can only read it by hitting forward.

This would tend to indicate that there's something wrong with the file, and
Eudora is choking on the content rather than the size, since "Forward"
creates an even bigger message.  The again, it may be a combination of size
*and* content.  At any rate, Wayne may be on to something.  Maybe it's
something in the headers.  I could try deleting each "To:," "From:," etc.
lines and see which line's absence makes the difference.  Of course, this
may mess up the index.  If I have the time, I'll try it then next time
Eudora gets "inDIGESTion."

--- Peter