[OM] I can't digest the Digest

Subject: [OM] I can't digest the Digest
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 00:03:15 -0800
Zuiko, Zuiko, burning bright,
Long exposures in the night...

Hi, all!  I'm back, and I've subscribed to the Olympus-Digest.  But I'm
having a little problem.  I use Eudora Light for email (the current V.
3.0.6, 32-bit).  Sometimes Eudora can not open the Digest. Often it works
fine, but sometimes, Eudora locks up with an hourglass that won't go away.
It happened several days in a row last week, then stopped for a few days.
Now it just happened again on olympus-digest V2 #1223.

When the lockup occurs, I can go to the "Close Program" box in Win98 and
terminate Eudora.  Usually, I can then restart Eudora with no loss.  Once,
the lockup corrupted my Inbox index and I had to regenerate it.  I can even
move an unreadable Digest out of my Inbox to another mailbox.  I just can't
read it in Eudora.

Clue: Whenever the lockup happens, the Digest is over 59 K, usually above
60 K.  But there are days the Digest is that big and it works fine.  The
last 65 K Digest was read OK.

Now, data files approaching 64 K, (plus their index and/or pointers) used
to sometimes overflow a 64 K memory segment in the old DOS/Win3.1 days.
But I'm using a 32-bit version of Eudora.  Still, another digest I
subscribe to seems to limit file size to about 40 K.  Maybe there's a good
reason for that.  Does anybody else have this problem or some idea why it's
happening?

I'm still able to read these indigestible Digests by bringing them up in a
text editor, so I've been catching up on all your goings on for the past week.

--- Peter