[OM] Art Gallerys anyone?

Subject: [OM] Art Gallerys anyone?
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Nov 1999 12:00:42 -0800
Ken,

No one has ever confused my photography with art, but I have had some
experiences working with art galleries in Southern California.  About
six years, the major software company I had been working for was sold
off and I along with 300 or so co-workers were with out jobs.  I then
developed a crazy notion of trying to make a living from my hobby of
photography.  Well since my software background was very directly
related to pre-press, color separation, lay-out design, and the like, I
figured I could get work shooting small products and commercial things
that got printed.  Needless to say most potential clients were more
interested in my software expertise than my photography skills.
However, I did start getting some fairly decent shooting assignments
(microprocessors, kitchen supplies, and other industrial junk).  A few
art galleries liked the way I photographed art objects for the artist
friends of mine.  So I did shoot commercially for art galleries for
mostly promotional catalogues and brochures.  Also that got me invited
to all the openings and the like.  Obviously I got to know more about
the business side of the art gallery industry than I ever really needed
to know. So my advice comes from inside looking out. And basically it is
this:

The best gallery operators are the best sales people.  They know what is
hot and what is not.  Since they are successful at business they think
they know everything else.  They work of the principle of greed is good.
They will abuse artists because they see them as idiots when it comes to
business.  They figure that most artists will do anything to get
represented by a particular gallery, and most artists will.  As to
whether these artists make any money, that is usually not the case.  In
order to be successful with these jerks requires that you  adopt to some
of their rules.  Treat them as if you are doing them a favor to them.
Do not let ego get in the way of business.  The less you act like you
need them the more they think you're hot.  Just show them the stuff you
think is hottest. Do not even attempt to show them everything.  Be very
selective.  If you put some prints in their gallery and they don't sell
in a reasonable period of time, pick them up and take them somewhere
else.  Do inexpensive but very professional promotional pieces (i.e.
make up high quality chrome coated post cards ...Modern Postcard in
Calif is good).  Find a niche and constantly promote it.  Use the Net
and everything else. If people are starting to actually want to buy your
pieces than you have established that your "product" has some market
appeal as art.  You sound like an artist now you have to become an art
business person.

As to shooting weddings ...... personally I helped a friend several
years ago shoot one and I swore I would not even bring a camera as a
guest to any wedding I hated it so bad. However, I have two photographer
friends (one was living in his car when I first met him) who exclusively
shoot weddings and each probably bills over $250,000 annually.  Their
stuff is creative and they are in high demand.  They get as much as
$8,000 per wedding.  They are the most successful photographers I know.
They are both consummate artists.  So there is opinion.

Regards,
Phillip