Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show
From: "Chris Barker" <christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:43:24 +0100
Joey

> This is one of the most unfortunate effects of digital technologies
> going to the mainstream (or any technology, really).  The end goal
> of "modern" technology is to somehow make life easier, improve output,
> or otherwise improve "quality of life."  Unfortunately, this almost
> without fail ends up getting lost in the name of modern technology.
> A digital solution is a waste of time if the old fashioned "analog"
> approach is superior, or so you'd think...

Sony invented the Walkman to great effect - we did not know that we needed it
until it appeared (no, I don't have one).  Goods these days are subject to
either technology-push, or demand-pull.  Industry likes to get ahead with
technology so that they can reap the benefits of innovation: they're always
trying to find ways of being unique to gain competitive advantage (unless
they're imitators of course).  People like us are useless customers when it
comes to digital, because we're looking for a result which is not yet available
(affordably).  But they're trying anyway (like cold fusion I suppose).

Genetically Modified Organisms are another case in point: we don't need them
(there is plenty of food to go around, if only it could get to the people who
need it), but the large companies have invested heavily because they think that
it is a growth industry (or segment of the food/agriculture industries).

> So I hope you'll all hold on to your Zuikos, your OMs, and your
> photosensitive films.

Most certainly sir, but please feel free to offload yours when you feel the need
;-)

In truth though, digital imaging is most useful in other areas than artistic
expression or journalism.  The military, for instance, need improved digital
resolution, speed of capture and transmissibility to save dosh on wet-film
processing.

> joey

Chris

~~ ><>