Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show
From: Skip Williams <skipwilliams@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 19:57:03 -0400
Konica was NOT at the show, so no official look at the Hexar RF. We asked the president of Leica USA about it and he said that yesterday a Konica rep brought one by and they were playing with it "in the back". All the M lenses fit that they tried (and they had just about the whole line at the show.). He was favorably impressed with the body, but he was less than impressed with the lenses. That may just be his Leica bias though.

I also spent about 45 min at the OM...er.. Olympus booth. The OM lineup on display was unimpressive, but they did have a 24 shift there, which I put on my OM4t. It's not as big as I had imagined, but its still got a pretty impressive front element. The rep had the same _NO_ answers to expansion of the OM line. My comment that the 35-80/2.8 might be the last lens we see was met with a smile that told me "you're probably right". :-(( I didn't ask about the Zuiko's on a digital body, I'm glad Denton did.

I spent about 20 minutes with the Camedia bodies. They're very nice, impressively light, but I was less than enamored with all the buttons and dials, but I guess that's what you get with digital. I kept looking at my OM4t and M6 I had with me and was happy that I didn't NEED digital right now. The Camedia ZLR was a nice handling camera. I don't care for the lag between shots though. Maybe I'm just a dinosaur.

I was also bowled over by the explosion of digital this year. It's obvious (duhhhh!), that it's the wave of the future, but I also was pleased to see a lot of new, high-end equipment at the show. Clearly the mix is just going to get more interesting, not necessarily all-digital.

Lots of interest in the Lyson booth with their archival inks. I've _got_ to get a set of the Quad Tone black and white inks for my Epson Photo 1200. Maybe it will make B&W viable for me. And the permanence of the color has finally made me not regret resurrecting my chemical darkroom. I'll just have to spend more on hardware :-).