Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly at the PhotoPlus show
From: Joey Richards <bigjoe@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:55:11 -0500
"Chris Barker" <christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sony invented the Walkman to great effect - we did not know that we needed it
> until it appeared (no, I don't have one).  Goods these days are subject to
> either technology-push, or demand-pull.  Industry likes to get ahead with
> technology so that they can reap the benefits of innovation: they're always
> trying to find ways of being unique to gain competitive advantage (unless
> they're imitators of course).  People like us are useless customers when it
> comes to digital, because we're looking for a result which is not yet
> available
> (affordably).  But they're trying anyway (like cold fusion I suppose).

This isn't quite what I meant to argue against --- certainly innovation
and invention need to be pushed.  I think there's little doubt that, say,
digital photo technologies will ultimately replace the traditional process
for most situations.  There are both technology-push and demand-pull
effects driving the development.  Just because you can't yet outperform
film is no reason to abandon R&D on digital cameras.

What I think is unfortunate is the assumption that sticking to film right
now, at a point well before digital surpasses its capabilities, is somehow
archaic.  This list is certainly not the best place to find people who
hold that view, I suppose, since most everyone on it does still prefer
to load film rather than CCDs.

The walkman is an interesting example --- I think it is more like the
conversion of large format sheet film cameras into hand-holdable ones
like we all use today.  A P&S camera is the ultimate walkman of the
photographic persuasion.  :-)

> > So I hope you'll all hold on to your Zuikos, your OMs, and your
> > photosensitive films.
>
> Most certainly sir, but please feel free to offload yours when you feel the
> need
> ;-)

Well, I'm quite firmly convinced that film has more value to me than
digital, so I'll be holding on for a while.  :-)  Plus, I haven't been
into this long enough to have much to unload, anyway...

> In truth though, digital imaging is most useful in other areas than artistic
> expression or journalism.  The military, for instance, need improved digital
> resolution, speed of capture and transmissibility to save dosh on wet-film
> processing.

Excellent point.  These are exactly who should be using it --- in these
situations, digital imaging offers real advantage over the "traditional"
technology, not just techno-whiz-bang.

joey