Re: [OM] northern lights

Subject: Re: [OM] northern lights
From: "Chris Barker" <christopher.barker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999 10:48:51 +0100
I had a good view of Aurora Borealis while airborne (anyone who's heard this
story before might like to stop reading now) at night over the Quebec wilderness
some years ago.  I was flying on the terrain-following radar in a Tornado
somewhere south-west of Goose Bay.  TF at night is fairly exciting (you get very
close to hard rocks that you only see too late to take avoiding action!), and
the appearance of the Lights was an amazing addition to the general level of
excitement.  They waved rapidly above us and changed colours (as I remember)
through reds and greens.

I would not have had the mental capacity to take a photo I'm sorry to say.

> Photos will not do it justice. Imagine getting really drunk and laying under
> one of those light curtains that stop no light, and watching it move and
> shimmer. Auroras look similar, and also seem to involve achohol. The film
> shot will be a smudge, like a time exposure on a waterfall. But if the
> aurora shape is round instead of stretching across the sky, the photo is
> still great.

Chris

~~ ><>
Chris Barker