Re: [OM] Am I nuts?

Subject: Re: [OM] Am I nuts?
From: "John Petrush" <petrush@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 22:29:12 -0400
I agree wholeheartedly with the notion of "establish myself with a certain
style than to keep up with the masses".  But that can be accomplished with
or without the latest technological wizzbangs.

As I recall, you do a lot in the wedding trade.  I'd think 120 format is
practically a given for that particular specialty.  Were I not given a
Mamiya M645 with a small ensemble of lenses, I'd surely build up a used
Hassleblad system.  Solid mechanical beasts, incomparable optics, utterly
reliable.  And all that film area to work with. :)  Fill flash is much
easier with leaf shutters, interchangable backs afford a level of
versatility 35mm can equal only with multiple bodies (not an altogether bad
thing <g>) and more.

Now if your "bread and butter" work inculdes deliverables where 35mm shines
(macro, sports, etc), then perhaps leveraging both systems can make more
sense - not to mention heavy to lug around.  Trouble is that gets both
expensive and confusing when you are always switching back and forth.  The
two key questions that beg an answer are do you *need* autofocus and/or
auto-fill flash (and the requisite high (1/250) sync shutter speed)?  If
only fill flash is the requirement, then give 120 format with leaf shutter
lenses another long, hard look.  If Autofocus, then fill flash sort of tags
along and you are looking at replacing the OM system.  Or building two
parallel systems (read expensive again).

Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxx> comtemplated aloud with .....

> Just maybe, it would be better for me to keep with "ancient technology"
and
> establish myself with a certain style than to keep up with the masses.
Who