RE: [OM] Am I nuts?

Subject: RE: [OM] Am I nuts?
From: "Brian P. Huber" <bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 21:00:59 -0400
Ken,
I, too, went through much the same thought process.  I hadn't used any photo
equipment for quite some time, then found myself wanting to start taking
photos again.  Picked up my old OM-2 and started again.  Then I started
looking at all the new cameras on the market since 1976!  holy cow!  Where
had I been?!

Maybe I should get rid of my old OM stuff and get a N*k*n or one of the
C*n*n models.  But, I still loved my OM stuff and most of the lenses were
dynamite.  Class stuff and high quality.  Made of metal, not plastic.

To complicate the issue, my father-in-law has N*k*n N70 and FM2, so I could
easily justify that move, especially since he's 83 and ...
But, I looked at what was out there and decided to stick with what I knew
and liked.  At one point I could have made the change and decided what I was
interested in was photography, my photography.  Not the photography of an
auto-system.   One of the complaints my father-in-law makes is that his
photos aren't nearly as good since he moved to the N70.  He insists his
photos are much better when he shoots with the FM2.

He also still complains about getting batteries for his Nikkormat.  Where
have I heard this before?

Last weekend I took photos at the wedding of one of my nephews (thanks Ken,
for some pointers I had forgotten).  I used my trusty OM-4 and my OM-4T.
The one thing I did change was to REMOVE the Beattie screen and put the 1-13
back in.  I had noticed problems getting precise focus with the Beattie and
wanted the for-sure focus of the 1-13 for those important bridal shots.

I made a conscious decision to stick with the OM system for a number of
reasons.  High on the list was THIS LIST!  There is tremendous support here
and a great deal of knowledge about photography, OM systems and SUV's.  It's
a lot of fun and I've made some really great friends I've never seen.
Sometimes I get a little discouraged from the high quantity of mail from one
individual, but at least he's learning.  He also asks questions that many of
us don't have the nerve to ask.  He also asks questions that many of us
wouldn't ask if we thought, but that's another matter.

What is important to me, is that this list has brought new life into my
photography and a renewed way of looking at life in general.  I've been
pleased and even honored to be able to help others with questions and
acquiring gear.  I've received great help and depth of knowledge I couldn't
have received anywhere else.

I find it hard to believe that I could purchase a $1500 lens at a store for
someone else based on their word.  Then have that same person send me the
check for the lens and not even ask for the lens to be shipped for another
month.  We've never met, neither of us would have the ability to recover
anything if we had been left "holding the bag".  It works and it's great!

By the way, Ken, how's the employment situation?

Brian P. Huber

Troy, OH
bphuber@xxxxxxxxxx

I am contemplating the thoughts of forgetting the system change and just
building my current OM system up.  I figure that if I get a new OM-4Ti and
a couple super lenses like the 350/2.8, 90/2 and a 21mm would set me up
pretty well.

At this point, does it make sense to completely change systems and spend
twice as much to get half as much?  My current equipment is still very
good, albeit showing use.  I figure that I might have a far better chance
at convincing my wife that a new OM-4Ti and a 350/2.8 is as good of a value
as a Nikon F5 with a  zoom lens.

Just maybe, it would be better for me to keep with "ancient technology" and
establish myself with a certain style than to keep up with the masses.  Who
knows....

Ken Norton